Monday, April 10, 2006

Ren and Stimpy creators blog

I noticed from Penny Arcade a link to the blog of one of the guys who did Ren and Stimpy. I thought it was worth a read as I've always been a great fan of the original Ren and Stimpy series. The post I found interesting was the one discussing 'organic' drawing styles. Basically, the post compares the drawing styles of cartoons that use more 'soft' style shapes against the new trend of using geometric shapes to form characters. For example, think of the older cartoons like the looney tunes and Ren and Stimpy, against the way Genndy Tartakovsky uses hard geometric shapes to make characters in Dexters Lab/Samurai Jack and such forth.

Personally, I like both styles but I do admit that the organic style of animation does seem to be going out of fashion a bit.